Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Distractions...

Mark Batterson posted some great thoughts recently on the subject of distractions:

If you want to
make an impact for the glory of God, you have to rebuke distractions. Your life has to be totally focused on becoming who He has called you to be and what He has called you to do. If you don't, here's what will happen: unimportant things become important and important things become unimportant. One of the primary reasons we aren't advancing the Kingdom like we could or should is because we major in minors. And that leads to sideways energy.

Let me touch on
two kinds of distractions:

I think we have to avoid
vision distractions.

I love the example Nehemiah set when he was rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem. A couple of thugs named Sanballat and Tobiah are trying to discourage and distract him. Nehemiah says, "I am doing a great work! I cannot stop to come and meet with you." I love that. He refuses to play defense
. He's got a job to do and he's going to do it. One of the maxims I live by is something Andy Stanley said: saying yes to one thing is saying no to something else. You have to make every decision with that in mind. You can get so busy the vision will never be fulfilled.

I think the second kind of distractions we have to avoid in church circles are
theological distractions. We need to study to show ourselves approved. We need to know what we believe and why we believe what we believe. But we can get so busy arguing about theological nuances that we lose sight of the Great Commandment and Great Commission. Sometimes, when a person is endlessly arguing theological nuances, I want to blurt out: "People are going to hell!" Let's get our theology straight. And we need to call blasphemy and heresy on the carpet. But let's get some perspective.

In the words of Titus 3:9: "
But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless."

True theology doesn't just lead to
endless arguments. True theology leads to action.

Let's follow Jesus' example: "
I must be about my Father's business."