Saturday, November 8, 2008

Staying Connected...

Susan and I attended a wedding at the Paramount last night. A former youth group member from Atlanta was getting married, and the ceremony providing us the opportunity to see several old friends. Neither Susan or I had eaten dinner before the wedding, so we passed on the finger foods at the reception in favor of the more gastronomically robust offerings at Chick-Fil-A.

With our trays in hand, we made our way toward a booth. As I slid into my seat, I glanced at the booth-mates sitting next to us. All three of the young women in the booth were staring intently into their cell phone's display, while typing at a feverish pace. I'm trusting they were not communicating with each other in this way but, comforted by their proximity to each other, were engaged in multiple other conversations with people not found in their booth.

Anne Lamott describes the cell phone as the "adolescents' pacemaker." I'm not sure I'd hang that descriptor just on adolescents.