Thursday, June 26, 2008

Taking A Break...

Over my years in ministry, I've occasionally heard ministers indicate they are too busy to take much time off. This has both concerned and perplexed me... as I fear for the potential harm these ministers may be doing to themselves, their families and their churches as a result of this sense that they just can't take a break.

Here is a glimpse at a list I'm compiling of the significant benefits that flow to ministers, their families, and the churches they serve, by their taking time off.


- Two consecutive weekends off is ten times better than just one weekend off.
- Time off makes “time on” much more effective.
- Ministry is "people intensive." Emotional tanks need refilling, or burnout becomes a real issue.
- Even if I don’t feel like I need to be off, my wife needs me to take off in order that I might focus completely on her.
- Most people are supportive when you take care of yourself.
- Staying in town when you’re off doesn't feel like being off. (Someone always needs something.)
- Speaking somewhere besides your church is not a relaxing weekend off.
- Going to church somewhere else when you're vacationing is a huge blessing.
- Churches that provide sabbaticals to their ministers are making a substantial statement of, and huge investment in, their concern for the minister's health and well-being.

What can you add to this list as to the advantages of taking time off? What works for you?