Monday, June 30, 2008

Please, Don't Come To My Church...

I found the following post by Nicholas Gray to be thought provoking. I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to his request: "Please, don't come to my church."

If I had it my way I would do away with outreach events. I would get rid of every event we hold at our church building that is geared towards bringing non-Christians to our church building. Let me explain.

Non-Christians are non-Christians for a reason, and they don't come to church for a reason. Ninety-nine percent of everyone here in America has been to a church, has been invited to a church, or has been witnessed to... and there are still those who want nothing to do with the church.

Why do we think that inviting them to a "Murder Mystery Night" will get them to change their mind? I'll tell you why, we want it on our turf, we want to call the shots.


Okay, let me rephrase my opening comment, I would get rid of them until we are doing our job by going to them first. We like being comfortable, we don't like confrontations, and boy to do we hate not being in control. This is because we are human (and Americans), the moment something happens that is out of our control we run away, we hide in the familiar. That is why the church loves holding bake sales and pot luck dinners, we are in control and comfortable, nothing is unexpected.


I think we have forgotten how important communication is. People don't like to be talked at, they like to discuss, ask questions, and unfortunately we don't give that type of atmosphere at the church. There is a preconceived notion among non-Christians that when they are at church they will be talked at. We don't give them a whole lot of evidence the other way either. If we go to them, they are comfortable, they are in control. In that situation, they can ask questions and even leave if they want to.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but I need to say it, we are called to GO. Paul is a perfect example of this. You read throughout the book of Acts of Paul going into other people's territory. He was never in control. The first thing he did in each city was visit the synagogue and talk with them. He would talk for days, months, even years. He was run out of towns by angry mobs, he met them on their turf no matter how hard or uncomfortable it was. He never sent out fliers for people to come to his place, he went to them.


Now that being said, outreach events have a time and place. Outreach events are great for those who are already looking into churches, who already have there mind in that direction. They will get something out of that. So, I am not saying never hold a pancake breakfast ever again, just be sure you are going as well.