Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Make Us Dangerous...

I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Mark Batterson, the lead pastor for the National Community Church in Washington, D.C. I have heard Mark speak at a couple of conferences, and I read his blog frequently. My impression of Mark is that he practices what he preaches... and he's a straight-shooter. Here's a recent post from Mark's blog with the kind of challenge that keeps a God-fire lit under me:

Jesus didn't die to
keep us safe. He died to make us dangerous! The will of God is not an insurance plan. It's a daring plan. In fact, the will of God doesn't get easier. God gives us more difficult, daring, and dangerous things to do! Read Hebrews 11.

In the words of a daring twentieth-century missionary, C.T. Studd: "
Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell."

The church needs more Studds! And you can quote me on that.