Thursday, July 17, 2008

The World As We See It...

"It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see." ... Anaïs Nin

I'm constantly praying about, and struggling with this as a spiritual discipline in my life. Let's just say I never seem to run out of real-life situations that challenge me to look at things from the point of view of someone else. Sometimes I'm intentionally seeking it out. And sometimes, it's a hard life-lesson I'm running into face first.


The
Anaïs Nin quote smacked me with a God-sized challenge for SoHills and other churches: What are we doing to learn about people that don't see things the way we do? Do we see the world as it is, or the way we are?

As a Jesus follower, would we be willing to:
+ go to lunch with an atheist?
+ eat dinner at a smoky, local bar with people who curse like sailors?
+ listen to some alternative secular music and learn what the lyrics mean?
+ read The God Delusion (currently ranked #194 on Amazon's bestseller list)?
+ go to a tattoo parlor and browse through the portfolio books?
+ make friends with people who are very unlike you?

None of these would be easy. And they're all uncomfortable. And somewhat controversial.

Let's agree we won't shut down these possibilities due to an anxiety attack over what "the church" might say about it. Instead, let's think about the way Jesus told us to live... and how we are to be his ambassadors who bring his light into the darkness.


I'm just asking... what are we willing to do to learn about people who don't see things the way we do?