Monday, August 18, 2008

Breakthrough Discovery...

I've just finished reading a recently published book by Greg Hawkins and Cally Parkinson titled Follow Me. The book is based on four years of research with 80,000 people in 200 churches. Follow Me makes for a challenging and insightful read.

My purpose in this post is not to review the book... instead, I want to highlight a finding that is documented in chapter five of Follow Me. Hawkins and Parkinson define what they describe as "two breakthrough discoveries." One of these breakthrough discoveries is: "The Bible is the most powerful catalyst for spiritual growth."
Now, some of you are scratching your heads and thinking, "Breakthrough discovery? Is a study confirming the Bible as the most powerful asset to personal spiritual growth really a breakthrough?"

Stop reading this post and ask yourself, "Do I spend time on a regular basis reflecting on Scripture?"

Do you? Be honest with yourself.

According to the research on which Follow Me is based (200 churches, 80,000 people), the most influential spiritual practice at every stage of a person's spiritual growth is "reflection on Scripture." And let's be very clear with each other... "reflection on Scripture" involves a great deal more than listening to sermon on a Sunday morning, or getting a dose of the Bible in a class on Sunday or a Wednesday night.

I can personally testify that the most meaningful spiritual discipline in my life has been journaling while reading the Bible. I can also testify that my times of greatest spiritual struggle and dryness occur most often when I'm not consistent about my Bible reading and journaling.

How about you?