Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Know This To Be True...

Most churches in America are designed for an older demographic. In fact, the more-seasoned folks in many of these churches are sitting on committees telling the students and young adults how they can and can’t do ministry. The result? Younger people are leaving churches in droves.

Here’s what I know to be true. If the church is going to continue to reach new generations of people:

+ I have to be willing to provide leadership opportunities to people younger than me… and let them make mistakes.

+ I have to be willing to let younger folks lead me in worship… even when it’s not my favorite style of music.

+ I need to embrace new methods of ministry… even though it sometimes makes me uncomfortable.

+ I need to pray and encourage and finance the next generation church… and stop trying to make church a place that I like to attend.

It’s not about me. It’s about the people who desperately need to know the hope, love and forgiveness found only in Jesus.

For the ministry of the local church to remain effective, I need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable.