Monday, April 21, 2008

On Snakes & Burritos...

I just had a great conversation with the guy who prepared my burrito. In between his asking me if I wanted lettuce, cheese and tomatoes... I found out that he is interested in reptiles, and has his very own anaconda. (Just a baby one, he told me... only five feet long.) Now, I'm not a big fan of snakes... and if I were ever to suggest that I'd like one as a pet, Susan would strongly oppose the idea (that's like saying a mongoose would strongly oppose a cobra). But here's the God-possibility in all of this discourse about snakes: the guy behind the burrito counter thanked me for taking the time to talk to me about his anaconda. In fact, we had a longer conversation than I've really ever seen him have with anybody-- and I'm thinking a big part of his opening up to me was that I took a little step into his world.

I'm continually challenged by how Jesus was all about meeting people, and engaging them in conversation. And I love to see how Jesus used those conversations to point people to God.

So... I'm trying to keep eyes and ears open to opportunities that God puts in my path for using my everyday conversations to point people to him. And look at it this way, if nothing else comes out of the conversation, I increase my knowledge base on such topics as the care and feeding of large snakes.