Thursday, September 25, 2008

Connectors...

I found this post by Ben Arment intriguing:

A few years ago, I began sketching out exactly how people were coming into our church. I wasn't interested in the folks who came by advertisements or signage. I was looking for who invited who.


I started by drawing my wife and me in the center. When I finished diagramming the people we had invited... and the people they had invited, the results were astonishing.

I could see exactly who the connectors were in our church. Others simply stopped at themselves.


When we cast vision for inviting people to church, we may be assuming too much. What if we poured more resources into the hands of our connectors? What if we groomed them, encouraged them, and fueled their desire to invite people?


As for the others... what if we started with the fundamentals? What if we showed them how to build relationships? The result would be less guilt-trip and more empowering.