Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Can't, Or Don't Want To...

Late yesterday afternoon, Tyrone rolled up in his wheelchair to my booth at Sharky's. Tyrone had begun using the wheelchair over two months ago when he injured his foot. But his foot has healed, and Tyrone remains in the wheelchair. Tyrone has grown very attached to his wheelchair.

I asked Tyrone when he was going to get out of the wheelchair and start walking again. He smiled, stood up on his two feet (to show me he could stand)... and then sank back into the wheelchair.


"I can't walk!" Tyrone complained.


"Can't walk... or don't want to walk?" I questioned.

"I've got to go!" Tyrone muttered. He was tired of this conversation, so he rolled off to chat with another one of his friends.

I was talking with God last night and He challenged me to leave behind some weights that were keeping me from becoming more of the man He's calling me to be.

"I can't change!" I complained.

"Can't change... or don't want to?" God questioned.

"I've got to go!" I muttered. I was tired of this conversation, so I walked off dragging my weights behind me.

When Jesus saw him stretched out by the pool and knew how long he had been there, he said, "Do you want to get well?" - John 5:6 (The Message)