Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This Was Me...


I'm a visual guy... I love pictures. I think in pictures. I talk in stories. People sit in my office and stare at the slideshow on my screensaver, and if I position myself just so--I can pretend that they are bug-eyed over the clever things I've just said.

This picture reminds me of me. I'm thinking I was a junior in high school before I got up the courage to smile at a girl. I was painfully shy. And painfully skinny.

I have a strong empathy for the underdog, the outcast, the last person picked in gym class. I cheer when the normal guy gets the girl. I smile when the shy kid gets up his nerve to ask out the pretty girl.

Every life is full of stories... and like I said, I'm a big fan of stories. I try to keep my eyes open for the stories that unfold around me every day. Those little dramas that play out before our very eyes, yet which we all too often fail to see.

I've always been taken at how Jesus used stories. Matthew 13:34 (CEV) tells us that"Jesus used stories when he spoke to the people. In fact, he did not tell them anything without using stories." I'm all about that. People relate to stories. They find their own story in other people's stories. I want to be a storyteller for God.