Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Communication Is Challenging...

A couple of days ago, I was driving down South 1st and looking for a way to get around a slow moving vehicle. The driver beside me seemed to read my mind and backed off his speed, allowing me to move in front of him to pass.

I was grateful, so I lifted my right hand to wave "Thank you!" But I'm not sure I communicated my intent. You see, I was holding my cell phone in my hand... so in an effort to not drop it as I waved, I maintained a firm grip on my phone. In a split second, I realized that every finger stayed on my cell... except my middle finger.

"No! That's not what I meant! I'm not flipping you off!" I thought. I scrambled to get another finger in the air and realized I was now gesturing the "peace" sign. Again, not exactly what I intended, but better.

Communication is challenging. It requires focus. Intentionality.

And like it or not, many of our conversations are on the fly. They're in a hallway in the church building. They're a quick email. They're an off-the-cuff response.

Focus. Think about what we want the other person to hear. Think about whether we're building up or tearing down. And empty your hands if you're gesturing signals of gratitude to the driver of another vehicle.

Trust me... it will help.