Thursday, October 23, 2008

People Pleasing...

Okay, deep breath, here goes: I confess to a life-long struggle with people pleasing.

Yep... there I've said it.

Do you still like me?

Dr. Harriet Braiker called people pleasing "The Disease to Please." She described people pleasing as a form of addiction. Just as drug addicts crave drugs, people pleasers crave approval.


People pleasing can become a form of idolatry.


These verses capture the heart of the problem: "But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved praise from men more than praise from God." John 12:42-43


Most of us (even though we don’t want to admit it) love praise from people. Unconsciously we can start to put people’s opinions ahead of God’s opinion.


I want to ask, "What will God think?" more often than I ask, "What will they think?"


The best antidote for the fear of people is the fear of God.
I want my life to reflect 1 Thessalonians 2:4, 6, "… We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts… We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else."