Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Fire In The Mouth...

My daughter, Caroline, and I were headed to Sam’s Warehouse recently. When we get there, we’re both kind of hungry... and so we decide to hit the samples.

First, a little history on how we have chosen to approach Sam’s samples. On almost every aisle in this huge store there is some kind person offering free samples of food. We figure the sooner each person’s samples are eaten, the sooner they get to take a break. So we consider it a good deed to eat as many samples as we can.

Okay, now that you understand my approach to the art of samples… picture me walking up to this kind person in Sam’s who’s offering a free slice of “Tasty Breaded Microwave Hors De'oeuvres”.

This delicious looking sample is just out of the microwave. I pop it in my mouth… and discover it to be crunchy on the outside… lava-like cheese and molten mushroom on the inside!


There’s no water anyplace!

There’s no place to spit it out!

My mouth feels like I have placed a flaming torch into it!

Later, as I sat soaking my mouth in ice cubes, I came across these words of God in Jeremiah 5:14. “Because the people have spoken these words, I will make my words in your mouth a fire and these people the wood it consumes.”

These people have lied about God. They have presented Him as some sort of heavenly wimp. They basically said, "We can do anything we want... God isn’t going to bother us."

God says to Jeremiah... and to us... you need to address these lies. And He gives us the words to do just that. And those words are like a fire in our mouth. Which means we’ve GOT TO SPEAK THEM! BECAUSE THERE’S NO OTHER PLACE TO SPIT THEM OUT! NOTHING ELSE WILL QUENCH THE FIRE!

Do you have a fire in your mouth?