Monday, October 6, 2008

Pehaps The Lord Will Act In Our Behalf...

I like the way Mark Batterson thinks and writes. He lives as a man of faith. Here's a recent post from Mark's blog that spoke to my heart.

Here's one of my favorite phrases in Scripture. In 1 Samuel 14:6, Jonathan says to his armor-bearer, "Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf." I love that modus operandi. But I honestly think many, if not most, Christians take the opposite approach. Perhaps the Lord WON'T act in our behalf. We let fear dictate our decisions. We have a better-safe-than-sorry mentality. We live as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death.


Maybe it's time for a paradigm shift. When did we start believing that God wants to take us to safe places to do easy things? Here's a thought: the will of God is not an insurance plan. It's a daring plan.


I think we've made a false assumption that the will of God gets easier as we grow spiritually. Some dimensions do get easier with the consistent practice of spiritual disciplines. But I also think God will give us more difficult, dangerous, and daring things to do!


I love this phrase. It's so hopeful. It's so optimistic. And it's the key to living with holy anticipation. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. May God give us the spirit of Jonathan!